2020 – It was the worst of times, it was the . . . worst of times. Let’s leave it at that. As to writing, I focused on short stories, and wrote a plethora of stories. Or was that a surfeit or superfluity of stories?
I read 67 books in 2020. By category, Fiction 31, Politics & History 16, Science 9, Writing 5, and Table Tennis 6.
I’m attending the Odyssey Online Workshop, “Emotional Truth: Making Character Emotions Real, Powerful, and Immediate to Readers,” with Scott Andrews. We’ll be doing a lot of reading and analyzing (eight stories or articles as part of the pre-workshop assignment), with two-hour online sessions on Jan. 6, Jan. 20, and Feb. 3. I’m already well into my reading and analysis – I’ve already picked up on some interesting things in one of the assigned readings, “Carnival Nine” by Caroline Yoachim, where she treats emotions like, well, a ping-pong ball. I found another fascinating method she uses to re-enforce emotions which I may elaborate on later, and may bring up in the online sessions.
I had 16 stories sold or published in 2020.
- “Releasing Hitler” was published by Galaxy’s Edge, Jan/Feb 2020
- “Blood Wars” was published by Galaxy’s Edge, Mar/Apr 2020
- “Tooth Theology” was published by Galaxy’s Edge, May/June 2020
- “The Untold Christmas Carol” was published by Galaxy’s Edge, Nov/Dec 2020
- “Prototype Solar System with Strings Attached” sold to Galaxy’s Edge
- “Journey to Perfection” sold to and was published by Unidentified Funny Objects #8 Anthology, Sept 2020
- “Philosopher Rex” sold to and was published by Zooscape, Sept. 2020
- “Pinning the Egg” sold to and was published by the Sci-Fi Journal, Dec 2020
- “High Plains Centaur” was published by New Myths, Mar 2020
- “The Vampire on the Tesseract Wall” sold to Amazing Stories
- “Ninety-Nine Sextillion Souls in a Ball” sold to Dark Matter Magazine
- “Nanogod” sold to Dark Matter Magazine
- “Defeating Death” sold to Parliament of Wizards
- “Space Force: First Victory” sold to Alternative Space Forces anthology
- “Space Force: The Poem” sold to Alternative Space Forces anthology
- “The Pushovers of Galactic Baseball Fame” sold to Paper Butterfly Flash Fiction
501 total views, 4 views today