I just finished my 13th “The Never-Ending Odyssey” science fiction & fantasy writing workshop, July 22-30. It’s for graduates of the six-week Odyssey science fiction & fantasy writing workshop. I’m class of ’06. During the workshop we critiqued each other’s work, ran “master” classes, did readings, and had various problem-solving and plotting meetings. I’m finalizing three new stories that were critiqued there.
My novel, “Campaign 2100: Game of Scorpions,” will be reprinted this fall by Phoenix Pick, the Science Fiction and Fantasy imprint of Arc Manor Publishers. More on that as the publication date approaches!
Here I am at Balticon in May during a book signing. Yes, I’m wearing a “Baby Yoda playing table tennis” shirt. I was on several panels.
From Aug. 4-7, I’ll be in Houston doing coverage (and playing in!) the 2022 World Hardbat Table Tennis Championships. (Here’s my article on it.) Then I have three weeks of vacation. From Aug. 8-11 I’ll be touring Houston (NASA Spaceflight Center) and San Antonio (The Alamo, Riverwalk) in Texas. Then I fly to Mexico City for a 15-day guided tour of Mexico, Aug. 13-27, that focuses on historical sites. It’s going to be fun and exhausting, and I will almost certainly come back with all sorts of story ideas, probably featuring Aztecs.
I keep close track of my writing stats. As of Aug. 1, I have 17 books and 2110 published articles in 177 different publications, including 133 short story sales. (175 if you include 42 resales.) My books are roughly evenly spit between science fiction/fantasy and the Olympic Sport of Table Tennis. But the great bulk of my published articles are table tennis – 1853 to be exact. I also have over 1900 blog entries, mostly in my table tennis blog. I’m a member of the USA Table Tennis Hall of Fame, and as I like to brag, I’m the best table tennis player in Science Fiction Writers of America (membership ~2000), and the best science fiction writer in USA Table Tennis (membership ~10,000)!!! If you think about this, it doesn’t mean much.
I’ve had five science fiction & fantasy stories published so far this year.
- “Four Score and Seven Years of the End of America: A Bibliography,” Daily Science Fiction, June 9, 2022
- “Prototype Solar System with Strings Attached,” Galaxy’s Edge, May/June 2022
- “Madam Hitler,” New Myths, March 15, 2022
- “Releasing Hitler,” Metastellar, July 11, 2022 (reprint)
- “Death Message,” Martian Magazine, March 7, 2022 (drabble)
I’ve sold eleven science fiction & fantasy stories so far this year. That makes a total of 14 forthcoming stories, I think a new record!
- “Soul Testing in Major League Baseball” to Daily Science Fiction
- “Packing List for the Invasion” to Daily Science Fiction
- “The Vampire on the Tesserect Wall” to Dark Matter Magazine
- “Rationalized” to the Flame Tree Compelling SF anthology
- “Christmas Interrupted” to the Flame Tree Christmas Gothic anthology
- “Interview with Mister Plub” to Post Roe Alternatives
- “Ten Songs of Halloween” to the Alternative Holidays anthology
- “New Year’s Skeleton” to Dire Dark
- “Small Step” to Abyss & Apex
- “A Grand Canyon of Lions” to Martian Magazine
- “Death Message” to Martian Magazine
Are you a wannabe writer? This is from a while ago, but here’s 50 Writing Quotes by Larry Hodges – funny and inspirational!
1,264 total views, no views today